Saturday, August 11, 2007

Rules for Mommy

One of the challenges that I face with my kids is that I get so frustrated (and angry and short tempered) telling them over and over to stop throwing things in the house, don't play with your food, no we're not watching any more TV, leave your sister alone! All this week I've been reciting my Rules for Mommy in my head (over and over and over):

Speak slowly - it's hard to be harsh and angry when you're speaking slow, complete sentences. Besides, you may end up better explaining the situation with slow complete sentences so that they'll understand what the problem is rather than just that Mommy's upset again.

Speak softly - it's hard to lose your temper and yell when you are speaking softly

Speak lovingly - a preacher recently spoke in his sermon about how we, as parents, are writing the very pages of our child's book. Each child is a book, a gift from God. He has given them to us, given us their book to write. So, from heaven He can flip through the pages and see how you or I have impacted this child's life.

So, my Rules for Mommy this week are to:

Speak slowly
Speak softly
Speak lovingly

No comments: