Wednesday, June 25, 2008

1,000,002 uses for Duct Tape!

I truly marvel at how you can leave a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old alone for just a few minutes and return to find such amazing dishevelment and destruction! I left the room looking like this





and returned to find it like this





I freaked when I thought they'd broken the crib completely but was happy to discover they'd only disassembled it. Yes, they stood there, not moving, with looks on their faces like... "HE/SHE did it!!!"

However, before I could reassemble the crib tonight and put it back together, I had to pull out the ol' handy dandy DUCT TAPE!!! You see the crib mattress makes for the best entertainment when used as a trampoline! The kids have had a BLAST jumping on it and yes, I try to holler at them every time... well nearly every time... sometimes I figure they're not bleeding or killing each other right now so, oh what the heck, just let 'em jump for a minute! Oh and of course they also have a blast when Jared "falls" underneath the mattress and Abigail "falls" on top of it, feels this "odd lump" below and proceeds to jump endlessly on top of the mattress to "figure out" what's under there. All the while, Jared is below oomph'ing and giggling away! Unfortunately, their past time has turned the mattress into this.






It finally died... split at the seams... foam "innards" starting to pour out. Yet! I cannot concede to pay money for another mattress that, if Rachel follows the lead of her big brother and sister, will only be used for another six months max (Monkey Boy Jared crawled out of this crib at 17 months to my utter horror and dismay and Abigail was out at 22 months!). I will not give in that easily! So, out comes the duct tape (and yes, the kids' safety scissors)! Oh and also the packing tape when I ran out of my duct tape since we have oh so much of THAT laying around right now - click here for the details on our house selling fiasco that has left us with many a box and many a roll of packing tape. So, anyway, I "mended" the mattress and we're back in business again.





So do you think this was one of the uses that the inventors of Duct Tape expected for their product?

No comments: